Outside School Child User and Outside School Child Account
“Outside School Child User” means a child using the ClassDojo Service not connected to a school or a classroom, including for educational and other learning activities at home, such as through Monster Island or certain premium features such as .
“Outside School Child Account” is an account used by an Outside School Child User. Note that an Outside School Child Account and Student Account will also be linked with the Student Account (if both exist) and are utilized using one login - they are not separate accounts. The “link” is that these accounts use the same login to access both products for children/students and the same “Dojo”/name, but the product data is stored separately. The login data (the username and password) is stored in one place and shared between both the Outside School Child Account and Student Account. Parents can choose to reuse an existing Student Account for home or create a new Outside School Child Account for home activity not associated with a school or classroom.
“ClassDojo Plus” is an optional subscription for families to bring the magic of ClassDojo home by providing more ways to support, celebrate and connect with their kids. ClassDojo Plus includes some features that are for use in connection with school-based use or with Student Accounts (such as premium feedback point reporting and Memories). There are additional paid features that are available for use at home in the non-school context that are separate from school-based features. The paid and free features that are available for use at home in the non-school context are separate features as we have built them.
Data for an Outside School Child Account or features used in the non-school context are stored separately, use separate backend implementation, and have separate features geared towards non-school use. Teachers do not have access to ClassDojo Plus features used with an Outside School Child Account or for non-school use, no knowledge of how these features are configured by parents, and there is no way in the product for them to direct the usage of ClassDojo Plus features for non-school use at home. ClassDojo does not share any activity of what is going on with the non-school use at home with the classroom (a parent or child may choose to share it on their own in messaging or activities to that teacher (but this is not at the direction of the teacher). An exception to this is that your child’s Monster avatar (which may be customized at home) is shown in the classroom if your child also has a Student Account.
Please see for more information about what information can be seen by parents and teachers for Student users and Outside School Child users.
Student and Student Account
“Student” means a child who is using the ClassDojo Service in school or for connected to a school or classroom. “Student Account” means the account the child is accessing to use the ClassDojo Service in school or for connected to a school or classroom.
Any Student Account (or access to a Student Account) created for the student by the parent, or the student’s teacher in class, or the student directly, are linked together (these are not different accounts).
Feedback Points awarded by teachers at school, Student Activity Responses, Portfolio Posts, Messaging, and and other use for school purposes is a separate product from the non-school ClassDojo Plus features and other non-school use, including those used by an Outside School Child User. The school-based product is a completely separate backend implementation from the non-school use and the product data is stored separately.
While point reports for at-home points and school feedback points appear in the same point reports, parents have access to feedback points only via reports that are shared by the teacher, and this data is stored separately.
Important Things to Note:
- All is stored separately from Outside School Child Account product data. Note that the login data (username and password) is stored in one place and shared between both accounts.
- Some features are unavailable in the classroom - such as non-school use features available in ClassDojo Plus - and that product data is stored separately.
- Some similar features are available in class and at home (such as feedback points awarded in school and Home Points awarded for non-school use), however, these are considered separate products, and this information is stored separately.
- Data by “creator”: If we don’t have data distinguished by a feature (i.e. school or non-school based), then we know who created the data - parent, teacher, or student. This data by the “creator” is available only in the realm of where it was created (either school use or non-school use). For example, if a teacher provides a student's age in the classroom, we wouldn't use that as part of the home product, and would separately prompt the parent to enter the student's age to customize the home product. The data entered by the parent at home would not be shared beyond the home product. As mentioned above, the one exception to this is the Dojo name/account name that is consistent across the accounts.
- All employees also sign a “Data Access” policy that includes strict policies around Student Data – who can access, what it can be used for, etc. and internal controls are in place for access limitations to the student database/table.