Last updated: December 30, 2019
- What kinds of personal information does ClassDojo collect?
- How do I exercise my consumer rights under the CCPA?
- In what circumstances may a deletion request not be honored?
- How does the verification process work?
- Who do I contact if I have more questions?
What kinds of personal information does ClassDojo collect?
How do I exercise my consumer rights under the CCPA?
Categories of personal information:
If you are a California resident you have the right to request that ClassDojo disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of categories of personal information over the past twelve (12) months. We have provided this Data Transparency page that details the categories of personal information we collect from each user type, including the sources from which the information was collected, the business purpose for which the information was collected, and the third parties with whom we share or disclose personal information for a business purpose.
Access, correction and deletion rights:
Additionally, California consumers also have specific rights of access, deletion, and data portability regarding their personal information under the CCPA. If you are a California resident you have the right to request that ClassDojo provide the specific pieces of information that we have collected about you. You also have the right to request deletion of your personal information collected or maintained by ClassDojo. We provide these same rights to all users.
Please see the ClassDojo’s commitments to providing Transparency and Your Rights Section for more detail on how to exercise these rights if you are a user of our Service. Please note that if your child is using ClassDojo in school, or is otherwise using a student account at home, you will need to follow the directions set forth in the Parental Choices Section to access, correct, or delete your child’s information. Additionally, please see below for the circumstances on when we may not be able to fully delete your personal information.
If you are a California resident, you may also designate a natural person or business entity registered with the California Secretary of State to act on your behalf to exercise these rights.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights under CCPA. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
However, we may offer you certain financial incentives permitted by the CCPA that can result in different prices, rates, or quality levels. Any CCPA-permitted financial incentive we offer will be reasonably related to your personal information’s value and contain written terms that describe the program’s material aspects. Participation in a financial incentive program requires your prior opt-in consent, which you may revoke at any time.
Under what circumstances may a deletion request not be honored?
You have the right to request that ClassDojo delete any of your personal information that we have collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and ask our direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception set forth under the CCPA applies.
As currently set forth under the CCPA, we may deny your deletion request of personal information if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
How does the verification process work?
While we await the final regulations from the California Attorney General’s office regarding verification, ClassDojo currently verifies requests for access, correction, and deletion by requiring that any ClassDojo user send the request either through email to email@example.com using the same email address they used to set up their ClassDojo account, or that they make their request here once they are signed into their ClassDojo account. Please note, that we may ask you to verify your identity before taking further action on your request, for example by requiring you to provide acceptable forms of personal identification.
Additionally, for any deletion requests, we will follow a two-step process: First, we will verify the written request as set forth above, then we will require that a second written confirmation be sent confirming that they want their personal information deleted.
Who do I contact if I have more questions?
You can visit the ClassDojo Privacy Center to learn more about how we protect your privacy, or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.