Going school-wide is a huge and exciting move, and we’re happy to help you take that step forward! So, let’s get this started!
1. Register as a School Leader:
If you haven’t already, now’s a great time to register for a school leader account. You can do this from the web or app. You can view our tutorial on how to create a school leader account here
Learn more about school leader capabilities here
2. Join Your School
Joining a school allows to you create a school community where all your teachers can find and join the same school. This also opens up the possibility for great collaboration within your school through the use of features like School Directory and School Story. You can either join an existing school listing, or create a new one, if needed. Find out more about joining a school here
3. Get Verified!
Either your mentor or a ClassDojo representative can get you verified. If your school doesn't have a mentor, please email us at email@example.com for assistance getting verified. Be sure to include a copy of your official school ID card, or a link to your school's website staff directory where we'll find you listed as a school leader.
Getting verified confirms you as a member of your school, and opens up school-wide features such as School Directory and School Story.
4. Upload your Student Roster:
Use Directory to upload your student roster into Directory. To make this as easy as possible, you can opt to upload your roster from a Word document or a .CSV spreadsheet. Teachers will later use your roster to import students into their class. This allows parents to connect once for all classes, instead of needing a unique code for each class their child is in. It also makes moving students from one class to another and keeping their parents connected super easy!
If you're setting up for a new year with an already existing Directory you can...
- Upload only new students
- Graduate students who left the school the year before
- Delete students who no longer attend the school
If parents aren't connected yet...
Our Directory roster upload feature allows you to upload a roster with first name, last name, and parent email address. When you upload a roster with all these fields, a parent will be sent an invite to join the school. Once connected, any class the student is imported into will appear on the parent's account.
Don't know parent emails yet?
Teachers can send home printed codes at Back to School, or on the first day of class. Here's a great article on getting parent code sheets to print and send home:
5. Create Teacher Accounts:
Instruct teachers to create their Teacher accounts and join the school listing you created. Once they join, you can verify them using the Directory feature.
To do this:
- Go to Directory then click on the Teacher tab
- You'll see a "Join School Request" box on the right side of the screen, and teachers requesting to join will appear there (To see this, you'll need to be connected to your school and have been verified as a school leader already - #2-3).
- Click on the "Approve" option to allow a teacher to join, or "Decline" if the teacher isn't a real teacher at your school.
You can also opt to invite teachers to your school, teachers who accept will be automatically verified. Learn more about this here
6. Setting Up Classes:
At this step, you'll decide how to set up classes.
- Class sharing: Sharing a class allows more than one teacher to access the same class. Class sharing is best for classes where teachers may be co-teaching, have aides, or who want to share their class with specials. Teachers can also share with administrators who want parent contact, access to reports and "stories," or the ability to add points. Learn more about setting up a share here.
- Link students via Directory: Each teacher has their own class, but imports students from Directory into their class. This means the students will have individual reports for each teacher, but linked parent and student accounts travel with the student. So, parents and students only need to enter one code to connect to all classes they are imported into. This will work throughout their school career. As long as a teacher imports the student from Directory, the parents never need a new code for new teachers. You can find more on Directory here
- Invite Parents and Students: If you haven't already invited parents in the roster upload, you, or a teacher can invite parents within a class by either sending home a printed invite or sending an email invite.
7. Create Consistency School-Wide!
- Set school-wide skills: If you want all classes using the same set of skills, you can create a demo class, create your preferred skills, then share the class with all teachers. From there, teachers will use the import skills feature to utilize your pre-set skills in their class.
8. Welcome Parents to Your School Community!
You can now post to School Story with a welcome note, or just take a look at the feature to get to know it a bit better. School Story posts go out to all connected parents, and appear within the parents' "Story" feed alongside Class Story and Student Story.
Here's more on School Story:
Have questions on going school-wide? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, we're happy to help!